- Masters in Counseling Psychology, Pacifica Graduate Inst., Santa Barbara, May 1993
- Doctorate in Jurisprudence, University of California at Davis, May 1983
- Masters in Business Administration, UCLA, June 1982
- Bachelor of Arts, Stanford University, December 1978
Licenses and Certificate:
- Marriage and Family Therapist, State of California, Board of Behavioral Science, Nov. 14, 1995, License No. MFC32871
- Custody Evaluator, completion of California training requirements, April 2005
- Certified Mediator, Dispute Resolution Service of the Los Angeles County Bar
- Admitted to practice law in California, December 1983, License No. 110591
November 1995 to Present
Marriage and Family Therapist, Collaborative Divorce Coach, Collaborative Child Specialist, Mediator, Personal Coach. Office of Richard Gottfried, JD, MBA, MFT
, West Los Angeles and Calabasas, California.
Counseling of adults, children and couples with adjustment, relationship, depression and anxiety concerns. Specialty counseling for management and law professionals. Collaborative coaching of clients engaged in separation, divorce and co-parenting processes. Mediation of interpersonal, divorce and custody disputes. Expert witness testimony. Personal coaching. Presentation of stress management, avoidance of substance abuse, communication skills and assertiveness training workshops.
September 1997 - December 1999
Staff Psychotherapist. Psychiatric Corporation of America
, West Los Angeles.
Counseling for adults, couples and children. Facilitation of support and therapy groups.
Coordination of care with primary care physicians, psychiatrists, managed care
companies and community resources.
September 1994 - June 2001
Staff Counselor. Westside Academy
. Los Angeles.
Counseling of children with ADHD, disruptive behavior, depression. learning disabilities and other diagnoses. Participation in Independent Education Plan meetings. Interface with parents, administrators and families.
1994 - 1995
Founder and Proprietor. Spirit of the Law. Topanga, California
Counseling support for lawyers, law staff and management. Presentations on interpersonal skills development.
April 1993 - November 1995
Private Practice MFT Internship. Office of Ken G. Unmacht, JD, Psy.D, MFT, West L.A.
July 1992 - September 1995
Clinical MFT Internship. Open Paths Community Counseling Center. West Los Angeles
February 1994 - May 1994
School Counselor MFT Internship. Topanga Elementary School. Topanga, California
September 1991 - July 1992
Staff Counselor Trainee. Counseling West. West Hills, California
1987 - 1991
Volunteer Community Mediator. Los Angeles County Bar Assn., Dispute Resolution Service.
Employment in Law and Business:
March 1991 - June 1995
General Practice Lawyer and Mediator. Law Office of Richard Gottfried. West L.A.
November 1986 - February 1991
Unocal Corporation. Los Angeles, California
Associate Attorney (12/89 - 2/91)
Attorney (12/87 - 12/89)
Retail Representative (7/87 - 12/87)
Marketing Analyst (11/86 - 7/87).
January 1985 - November 1986
Lawyer. Law Office of Richard Gottfried. Santa Monica.
December 1983 - 1984
Associate Lawyer. Spensley Horn Jubas & Lubas (merged with
Loeb & Loeb). Century City.
Judicial Clerkship. Court of Appeals for the State of California, Second District, Los Angeles
January 1979 - July 1979
Research Analyst. SRI International (Stanford Research Institute). Menlo Park, California
California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Active Member since 1991
- Outstanding Chapter Leader Award, 2001
Los Angeles Chapter of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Active Member
- Board Member and Referral Line Director, 2000
- Board Member at Large, 1999
- Board Member and First Vice-President - Programs, 1998
- Attorney-Therapist Committee, Founder and Chairman, 1992-1997